Birth & Death Records / Vital Statistics
We know this is a concerning time and we are doing our best to serve you during the COVID-19 pandemic. The City's #1 priority is the health and wellness of staff and the Citizens of Texarkana.
At times, this office will be closed for necessary cleaning and sanitizing between customers.
We ask that you limit your in-person visits to immediate need only to accommodate one customer per application.
Please contact staff at (903) 798-3911 to schedule an appointment.
Orders are accepted for Birth and Death Certificates via:
Money orders, cash (NO bills larger than $20), check, debit or credit cards are accepted. Check or card holder must be present with their identification. Cards are charged a minimum of $2.50 extra.
- Office opens at 8:00 a.m. Office closes strictly at 5:00 p.m.
- Certificates are generally available 10 business days after the birth or death occurs.
- In order to fill a request, an application sufficiently identifying the record, a valid ID, signature, date of request and appropriate fees are required. Some applicants may need more documentation.
- Most walk-ins are issued certificates the same day.
- The office is usually busiest between 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. During these hours, there will be longer wait times.
- Due to changing state laws, a county or city issued birth certificate may not be accepted in some states. If your state of residence requires a state issued birth certificate, you can order from the State of Texas at www.texas.gov.
Birth Certificates Application (PDF) Spanish (PDF) Substitute (PDF)
- Texarkana, Texas, Wake Village or Nash birth certificate holders will receive the long form which is the most widely accepted record. This record will also display corrections that have been made to the birth certificate. The Passport Office and some cruise lines require the long form.
- All other Texas birth certificate holders can obtain the abstract form which will work for everything except leaving the United States. To obtain the long form, you can contact either the city or county where you were born, or the State of Texas at www.texas.gov.
- To obtain an Indian Roll Number, you must order your certificate from the State of Texas at www.texas.gov.
Certified Birth Certificate, long or short form $23
Large Poly Sleeve for certificate $3
Death Certificates Application (PDF) Spanish (PDF) Substitute (PDF)
- Texarkana, Texas, Wake Village, or Nash deaths only
- For all other Texas death certificates, contact the city or county where the decedent died, or the State of Texas at www.texas.gov.
Certified Death Certificate $21
Each additional Death Certificate ordered of the same record at the same time $4
Large Poly Sleeve for certificate $3
Birth and Death Online Orders (State of Texas)
- Order state issued birth or death records at www.texas.gov
- Please allow 10 to 14 business days for mail-in orders to be processed
- Mail-in applications must be notarized
- Shipping and Handling for mail $2
Mail Applications to: Vital Statistics, PO Box 1967, Texarkana, TX 75504
Make Checks Payable to: City of Texarkana, Texas
Changes to Birth or Death Certificates
- ALL changes are made by Texas Dept. of State Health Services by using the following forms: VS-170 Correcting a Birth Certificate or VS-172 Correcting a Death Certificate.
- These forms will include full instructions, a list of required documents and fees associated with the request.
- Changes could include: spelling or date errors, legal name changes, adding, removing, or replacing a parent, correcting the place or time of event, or correcting the sex, race, or age of a certificate holder or parent.
Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP)
An AOP is a legal document that allows the biological parents who aren’t married to each other to establish legal paternity.
If the biological parents were married after the birth of the child or if there is a court order regarding this child establishing paternity, you do NOT need to have an AOP appointment. Use form VS-170 Correcting a Birth Certificate.
If either parent wants a DNA test, it must be done prior to signing the legal AOP document.
Call 903-798-3911 to schedule an appointment. Appointment times are 9:30 a.m. or 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday only.
Walk-ins accepted by the Texas Attorney General’s Office
122 Plaza West, Suite 2 (Off West 7th Street)
Texarkana, TX 75501
For more information please contact our office, or browse the FAQ’s section.